This week, we replaced door knobs. The bathroom door and the front door were getting ridiculously difficult to maneuver or lock.
It got me thinking. This is the third front door knob we’ve replaced in 5½ years, and the second bathroom knob. My parent’s door knob on the bathroom is the same one they had for as long as I can remember. Their front door knob was the same until they changed the entry 15 years ago, and the new one is, umm, 15. So… is it quality of materials, excessive use, or are kids incredibly hard on things and take that times 7 and you’ve got a recipe for changing knobs every two years?
I haven’t decided. Maybe it’s a mix. All I know it’s that this time around, we ditched the brass for much preferred silver. The bedrooms don’t match. I don’t even care. Those haven’t been replaced yet. I’m sure that’ll be soon.
In other news, I finished the sewing project of my life tonight. It makes the flower girl dress back I made back when Liberty was three look like child’s play, and I always thought that one beat them all. I was starting to think I’d never be done with this project. FYI, I’ll never, ever, ever make another Roman shade for pay again. There’s no way to charge even remotely close to a decent hourly rate. 60+ hours for two shades – the strange part is being so sick of them I don’t even care how much I won’t make. For the record, they are identical to a fraction of an inch. I measured them identical to less than ⅛”. That makes me happy. And they are done. Done is fabulous. Next up: a mei tai for baby Ocho – or a dress for Ellie, or I’m not sure what. Anything fun and easy and without stress!