I’ve made a lot of slings. Mei Tais, tube slings, a Moby, a couple Buddhas, and a few water ring slings. I’ve been wanting to try a linen ring sling for a while. This week, I did.
Osnaburg is woven, making it ideal for baby wearing. But… it comes un-bleached, un-dyed, and un-shrunk. A bit of prep work boiling and washing, then I made a stencil. Elmer’s Glue is said to create a temporary barrier, keeping glued areas un-dyed and then the glue washes out.
I tried. I also left myself an out – I had extra fabric and one end needed trimming. All goes well, I trim the other end. All goes south, the glue end goes.
Royal Blue Tulip dye, 2 cups soda ash, 2 hours.
Wash. Dry. Find out glue didn’t wash out, was white in the washer, and came out of the dryer crunchy and blue. Zig zag fail. It got chopped.
Silver rings, hem and capped shoulder.
I like it. It’s not for me, it’s a gift, but I’m rather happy with it, for a first.